I am taking part in a competition that involves creating a dish using Maille products. They are POSH. And French. A fabulous combination in my book.
Out of the list of products on offer, I chose the Soy Vinaigrette with Toasted Sesame Seeds as it seemed to be something a little different.
Once we got over the hilarious box-to-contents-ratio of the delivered goods, I set Mr M to work in the kitchen. This is the recipe he concocted, and it was darn delicious…
Veg & Prawn Tempura with Noodle Salad
Veg and Prawn tempura:
- Slice 1 sweet potato, 1 courgette, 1 red pepper and 1 red onion (or shallot) into discs/rings
- Make tempura batter by mixing:
75g corn flour
75g plain flour
- Put the mix on the scales and add 150g of ice cubes, and fizzy water
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan to 180c
- Dust the veg and prawns in plain flour then dip in the tempura and fry for a few minutes, until they start to colour a little.
Chop up some spring onion, ginger and red chilli
- Soften rice or glass noodles in a bowl of freshly boiled water for at least 4-5 minutes
- Toss the noodles with the spring onion, ginger and chilli, along with a good glug of Soy Vinaigrette with Toasted Sesame Seeds
Make a dipping sauce for your tempura with Soy Vinaigrette with Toasted Sesame Seeds and some extra soy.
The noodles add a fresh element to the dish, though the tempura batter is light and the veg still have some bite also. It’s a great spring / summer dish, and is really versatile – you can choose any veg you want and change out the prawns for something else if you’re not a fan.
If you’re after the vinaigrette, you can get it here: http://www.maille.co.uk/condiments-sauces/soy-vinaigrette-with-toasted-sesame-seeds/10857205.html